C*nsorsh*p EXHIBITION OPEN CALL
The stringent and yet vague community guidelines of the major social media channels are inconsistent, full of contradictions and hypocritical at best, but the problem runs deeper. The message is deafeningly loud and the silence is violent: if you have enough money or are famous enough, you can publish whatever you want, regardless if it violates their own guidelines. If you don’t have a “perfect body”, you will not be seen. If you have important messages to express about the female body, you will not be heard. C*nsorsh*p is an exhibition which gives a voice to binary, femme, non-binary, transgender women photographers to show their photography without fear or threat.Disclaimer : although this image depicts cisgender people and how social media censors in a transphobic way, we are in no way condoning social media's behavior and are bringing attention to the danger of this kind of thought. The imagery depicted is just one situation of the way social media censors and it does not in any way limit your interpretation. Submissions about censorship based on age, body, childbirth, disability, gender, gender expression, origin, mastectomy, race, sexual orientation (to give you some examples) are accepted, but not limited to these subjects.
Open call Regulations
Participation in the Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition is free and open to women identifying photographers, minimum age of 18 years, regardless of nationality. If you are in a jurisdiction where the age of majority is above 18 years, you will obtain the consent of a parent/guardian to participate in the Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition.
By entering the Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition, participants are deemed to have read and accepted all aspects of the submissions & rules described on this page (Regulations). If you do not agree to be bound by these Regulations, you are not authorized to participate in the Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition. These Regulations may be updated from time to time and the latest version of these Regulations will always apply.
ORGANIZATION AND DATES
Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition is organized by Foto Femme United, 1 passage de la Fonderie, 75011 Paris, France.
DATES for submission
November 28, 2019 – February 15, 2020.
This Regulation sets out the rules for this contest.
- There is no entry fee.
- Photographer has to specify under which theme she enters the Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition.
Foto Femme United THEME 2019
– Censorship in photography in media
- Eligible are submissions of exactly 3 images.
- Submissions must not have been previously used for any commercial purposes or won a previous competition or award.
- Photographs must be accompanied by a text presenting the work.
- Photographer has to send a CV and a short Bio (300 words max).
- Submitted images should be in JPEG format, with a minimum of 2500 pixels in width/heightat 72 dpi and be no more than 5 megabytes in size.
- Color or Black & White images, Digital or Silver digitized pictures.
- Should the participant’s work be selected for the exhibition, the participant will supply to Foto Femme United on request high-resolution files that are suitable for print.
- No signature, name, text, stamp, logo, watermarks or other copyright notices shall be affixedon photographs submitted to Foto Femme United.
- Foto Femme United pays all expenses in regards to the prints, which will be printed in a professional lab with digital printing process. Dimensions can vary depending on the exhibition space.
NOTE ON COPYRIGHT
The images remain the property of the author and the author grants Foto Femme United a royalty-free license to use, copy, reproduce, adapt and modify the images in relation to the promotion of the award during the following year(s) and for any other purposes, without participant being able to raise any financial claim, and to include all print, video or online media or social media. Foto Femme United may sub-license this licence to its partners.
- Photographers will be consulted, in case Foto Femme United wishes to use their work in anyother context.
The organizing companies guarantee the participant fairness, good faith and loyalty of the members of the jury.
The photographs will be judged based on the photographic skill, artistic sensibilities, emotion,impact and originality as well as on the consistency of the approach to the theme – the relevance of the photo to the subject.
The jury may reject any picture if it considers that it is not artistically adequate or which is in breach of these Regulations.
Foto Femme United aims to announce the shortlist Finalists the month before the exhibition. The shortlisted photographers will be notified by email to the email address which they submit during registration process and published on the Foto Femme United website and associated social media.
Foto Femme United reserves the right to change, or modify the prize at any time before the end of the award, but will make sure to inform all Participants.
In case of force majeure Foto Femme United reserves the right to amend this regulation, to postpone or cancel the competition without liability to the participants.
PERSONAL DATA / PRIVACY
In entering the Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition, participant agrees that Foto Femme United is permitted to receive and process their registration data. All personal information is collected for the purpose of administering your entry, and will be kept secure &confidential and is used in accordance with applicable law.
- Submitted photographs must be original materials created by the participant.
- Participant must confirm that they are the sole copyright holder of the material or have been authorized by another copyright holder to submit the material to this award.
- Foto Femme United (and its partners) are not responsible of any royalties, fees or any other amount to a third person and can assume no responsibility and are not liable for any misuse ofyour work by third parties.
- The photographer retains copyright of the photographs. Foto Femme United recognizes that the participant – the author of the photograph – retains full and complete ownership of the copyright in each submission.
- Please note: Foto Femme United uses social media platforms. Foto Femme United will provide full credit to the photographer when posting images, but Foto Femme United cannot guarantee that others who copy or repost images will do the same and Foto Femme United shall not be liable for the actions of any such third parties.
- The participant undertakes, warrants and confirms that she will not assert any moral or similar rights that she may have in relation to any original materials submitted as part of the award to prevent their public display in accordance with these Regulations.
- Participant agrees to indemnify Foto Femme United and its partners (Indemnified Parties) against all liabilities, costs, expenses, damages and losses (including but not limited to any direct, indirect or consequential losses, loss of profit, loss of reputation and all interest, penalties and legal and other reasonable professional costs and expenses) suffered or incurred by an Indemnified Party arising out of or in connection with any claim made against an Indemnified Party for actual or alleged infringement of a third party’s intellectual property rights arising out of, or in connection with the participant’s submission or from a breach by the participant of these Regulations.
- Women photographer, above 18 years old.
- Participants may enter with one particular project once only.
- All entries must be submitted via the website listed no later than 11.59pm (French time) on February 15, 2020. Any photos submitted after this time will not be accepted.
- Finalists will be informed by email and announced on the website (date TBC).
- Submissions must be of a reasonably large file size and of high quality (at least 2500px at 72dpi, with a maximum size of five megabytes per file). Participant’s photos must be in JPEGformat.
- All participants must be able to supply a high-resolution (400dpi) and high-definition image suitable for printing in media and for an exhibition, should the work be chosen for the final selection.
- Any incomplete application will not be accepted.
- Participant agrees that the content of her work complies with all applicable law and in particular:
- Respect public order and good moral standards.
- Respect the intellectual property rights of third parties.
- Do not affect the reputation, privacy and image of a third party and are not libellous or defamatory.
- Does not contain disparaging or defamatory words
- Presents no paedophilia and does not strike the sensibility of minors.
- Do not affect the safety or integrity of a state or territory.
- Do not incite discrimination whether based on sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation, age or political opinion.
- Do not incite crime, hatred, violence, suicide and racism.
- Do not incite to commit a crime or an act of terrorism.
- Does not otherwise breach applicable law.
This list is non exhaustive.
Any deceitful statement of the participant will entail their exclusion from Foto Femme UnitedC*nsorsh*p pop up exhibition without the responsibility of Foto Femme United can be committed.
- Participant will received an email confirmation of their Foto Femme United C*nsorsh*p popup exhibition participation.
- Inaccurate or incomplete entry will be rejected, without engaging the responsibility of Foto Femme United.
- This Contest is subject to French law. In the event of a dispute between the Parties, arising out of or in connection with this Agreement or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims) then the dispute shall be referred to and finally resolved by arbitration in accordance with the Arbitration Rules of the DIFC-LCIA Arbitration Centre, which rules are deemed to be incorporated by reference into these Regulations. For the purposes of any arbitration commenced pursuant to this clause: (i) there shall be a sole arbitrator; (ii) the seat, or legal place, of the arbitration shall be in the Dubai International Financial Centre in Dubai, UAE; (iii) the arbitration hearings shall take place in Dubai, UAE; (iv) the language to be used in the arbitration proceedings shall be English; and (v) the award of the arbitrator shall be final and binding on the parties.
- The illegality of any part of Regulations shall not prejudice the enforceability of any other part, which shall be severable.
- The failure on the part of a party to exercise or enforce any right conferred upon it by these Regulations shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any such right or operate so as to prevent the exercise or enforcement of any right conferred upon the parties by these Regulations.
- These Regulations constitute the entire understanding and agreement of the parties relating to its subject matter and supersede, cancel and replace all prior agreements between Foto Femme United and the participants which relate to the same subject matter whether written, oral, implied or would be inferred from the correspondence, oral statements or conduct of the parties.
- The participant shall not sell, assign, mortgage, charge, transfer or otherwise dispose of any of its rights or obligations under these Regulations nor will it delegate or sub-contract any of such rights or obligations without the prior written consent Foto Femme United.
- Subject to applicable law, Foto Femme United and its partners, will not be liable for loss of profits, revenues, or data, financial losses or indirect, special, consequential, exemplary, or punitive damages. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, Foto Femme United and its partners exclude all liability of for any claims under these Regulations.
NOTE ON THE EXHIBITION PRINT & SALE
Finalist/Laureate agrees on the following:
- A selection of one (1) to three (3) photographs of the photographers’ set to be printed and exhibited during the exhibitions.
- Foto Femme United and its sponsors are responsible to print the editions.
- These editions can be for sale during the exhibition (with the photographer’s authorisation and agreed prices), kept by Foto Femme United for future exhibition purposes or destroyed.
- In case of sale, 30% of the proceeds go to the photographer, 40% to Foto Femme United and 30% to Galerie &co119 to cover expenses.
All prints are exclusively printed by a professional lab, Foto Femme United printing partner.